Monday, January 14, 2008

The Dark Crystal: Chamberlain and Aughra




To start, I figured I'd show some of my favorites.

I'm a huge fan of Jim Henson's work. I think he was one of the most innovative and creative artists of the 2oth century, and had a unique and refreshing perspective when it came to creating programming for children (namely, respect for his audience). To me, The Dark Crystal is his crowning achievement. The pairing of Henson's story and creature effects with Brian Froud's incredible artwork created one of the most visually unique films I've ever seen. And so, with my fandom in tow, I set about creating three-dimensional representations of the characters.

First off is SekSil Lord Chamberlain. This snivelling and ambitious rat was without a doubt the most memorable character from the Dark Crystal, and I felt would be an engaging technical challenge. He was made using armature wire, cotton batting, and layered cloth. The head is Super Sculpey, and the hands were modified from some parts I had in my fodder bin.

Aughra, the wise, Yoda-like sage who provides Jen the Gelfling with what he needs to begin his journey, was constructed using very much the same methods as I described above for Chamberlain. The head sculpt combines Sculpey, epoxy putty, and Apoxie Sculpt to create the finished product. I think, in many regards, she is my most accomplished sculpt work to date.

5 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Just amazing! The detail on these is phenomenal, I expect them to start moving. I also love the rich colour choices.

bruce said...

Thanks Eric! The best part is that they can move...if I can ever procure a camera that would allow me to animate them, I may give it a shot.

Ambera said...

Wow Bruce, Eric sent me the link to your blog, and I'm totally amazed. They're wonderful, (and beautifully photographed too!)
I'd love to see some stop-go animation...

bruce said...

Thanks for stopping by, Ambera. I'll be sure to check out your work as well. Thanks also for commenting on the photography...its nothing fancy, but its nice to know that its at the very least adequate.

workboy53 said...




Polarized lenses (made from Polaroid or a similar material) to reduce glare caused by light reflected from polarizing surfaces such as water (see Brewster's angle for how this works) as well as by polarized diffuse sky radiation (skylight).


Crystal Custom
Promotional Sunglasses
Promo Sunglasses
Personalized sunglasses
Customized sunglasses