Sunday, January 27, 2008

Some original characters...









On occasion, I get tired of screwing around with other people's characters and go on a tangent. As it happens, some of my favorite customs are produced when I do this.
First up is Edmund LeGash. A mysterious guardian of an outlying village, this grotesque yet kind-hearted monster is made from armature wire, fabric, shredded paper, leather, and is sporting a head crafted from Super Sculpey. The hands and feet are from the fodder bucket, and the armour is styrene. The second picture of him is in full armour with face plate in place.
Next up is Whistlefax, the haunted robot. His story is that he's possessed by the soul of a long dead soldier who seeks revenge on those who plunged the world into a nuclear holocaust...pretty silly, eh? He's made from a Marvel Legends Gambit, a Magneto helmet, and epoxy putty and spare parts.
Lastly is Thaddeus, who is a character that I had not developed a story for...I was more riffing on a Chinese dragon design, and then went sideways into what you see here. The head is an original sculpt in Super Sculpey, the body is a Marvel Legends Blackheart, and the rest is fabric and odds and ends from the fodder bucket.
These projects really do break up the monotony of my favorite licenses properties, and I always like to keep these guys in the back of my head, slowly weaving tales and adventures for them.
Thanks for looking!

6 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

These are amazing! I didn't realize you were doing stuff like this. I love designs and the back stories are super cool. The idea of the haunted robot is awesome. I love the little details.

bruce said...

Thanks, Eric. The original design customs are few and far between, but I do indeed indulge in this sort of thing on occasion. Honestly, I start with a funny character name and then go from there. Ass-backwards perhaps, but that's just how I roll, baby!

systemskitty said...

heehee... thaddeus.

Andrew Glazebrook said...

S U P E R B !!!!

Rick said...

I think it is great to do your own stuff and these are just as cool or cooler at they are your own! I wish I had time to sit down now and sculpt! I just have too much drawing/inking I have to do. I hope to see some more originals. Like you it is also fun to come up with names for characters. Some just pop in my head and I have to wonder where did that come from. LOL

Rick said...

Oh yeah all three are great but Whistlefax is probably my favorite. I actually have a robot character I have in a comic book I am creating.