Saturday, December 6, 2008

A little bit of eighties nostalgia...



Well, I haven't posted on my blog in a very long time, but I figured it was time to dust the old thing off and start anew. Now I know that eighties nostalgia is a tad tired at this point, but for some reason the fancy struck me to create a GI Joe character in 6" scale...which led to this project. For those who don't know, this is the main heavy, aptly named Cobra Commander (since he commands the Cobra organization...which seemingly has endless funding for a massive terrorist organization). A combination of Soviet military imagery and terrorist stereotypes, Cobra was cooked up by Hasbro in the eighties as a villainous group to counter the efforts of the heroic GI Joe, and to sell action figures, comics, and advertising-rich cartoons...the ploy was a massive success, and is now fondly remembered by "adult" geeks like myself. There's a forthcoming film adaptation by Stephen Sommers, which is surely a mark of a quality film. Anyway, the figure is made from a Marvel Legends Bullseye, with fabric outfit and mask. Leather strips were used for the belts and straps, and the details were bits of fodder.

No comments: