Sunday, December 14, 2008

A new head for Tars Tarkas












My Tars Tarkas version 2 felt a little...lacking. I think what was bothering me was that the head sculpt I did was very relaxed and undynamic...I wanted to push it further, perhaps making the head seem more 'alien' rather than conforming to the basic shape of a human head. The configuration of the tusks was borrowed from Kevin O'Neill's design from League of Extraordinary Gentlemen...the rest was an amalgam of dozens of familiar sculptures and illustrations of the massive Thark's mug. I wanted him to be fearsome, yelling a battle cry or perhaps laughing without mirth at the pain and misfortune of others (as is customary among green martians). The sculpt was rendered in Super Sculpey and planted on the neck post (I kept the first headsculpt just in case I wasn't happy with how this one turned out). This worked out okay...I think I managed to make him look angry and ready to kill as opposed to constipated or yawning (which is always a danger when bared fangs and open mouths are featured in a head sculpt).



4 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

This is stunning! You've got an element of expressiveness that isn't always evident in your work here. The close up detail is amazing-I love the look of it as a banner.

bruce said...

Thanks Eric.

The expressiveness was precisely the point of this sculpt...I really wanted to make a head that actually emoted above and beyond what I'm accustomed to...it's an articulated action figure, but I wanted something a little more 'sculptural.'

Deb said...

I'm gobsmacked. This is incredible.

bruce said...

Thanks, Deb...that's very kind of you to say.