Monday, January 5, 2009

1944: Project "Iron Man"











Here's Iron Man complete (for now). He turned out okay...I think he captures some of the ideas I was going for. The addition of the lights was a decision I made about half way through construction, and it meant that the detailed cockpit interior didn't happen. I think he's pretty fun...he sort of looks like a retro robot toy, which was a big part of what I had in mind. I have to say that I spent way too many consecutive hours on this thing...normally a project like this would take about two weeks, and I finished it in four days. That's not an impressive number...it just means that I probably should have slowed down and slept more instead. Maybe one of these days I'll make a Tony Stark in military fatigues to stand beside him on the shelf.




7 comments:

Andi Butler said...

i'm sure "cute" wasn't what you were going for, but i think he sure is sweet! probably why girls don't get "action figures"...really nice work!

found him via a link from facebook, btw..

bruce said...

I suppose he's kind of cute and cuddly...he is built like Santa Clause, after all. Thanks for the feedback.

bruce said...

Believe it or not, I'm working on some more details for this guy. It's easy to rework minor details, and the more I think about the features I'd like to add, the more I feel compelled to add to them.

Eric Orchard said...

Man, this is beautiful! Every time I visit I want to rave about how amazing your work is. I can picture him trudging through the snow in Northern France or somewhere...

Ben Hatke said...

Ohh, give us a Hulk and you'll have an awesome set of period avengers!

Ben Hatke said...

Iron Man looks great BTW

bruce said...

Thanks for commenting, Eric and Ben.

With all the snowy weather we're having, I was sorely tempted to run outside and take pictures of this thing! Maybe I will if no one's looking.

I made a Hulk once before...it might be neat to make another. It would be a lot of fun to pad out an Avengers team in this style...I may just do a few.