Thursday, January 1, 2009

Arnim Zola











Another Captain America villain! Mad scientist and biochemist Arnim Zola was contracted by the Nazis to develop an elite squad of genetically engineered soldiers, and to aid in the development of various other fiendish and evil deeds. Another Kirby character, Zola is one of my favorite designs of all time. Equipped with a holographic projection of himself inside of a biomechanically engineered body, Zola is also equipped with a sophisticated thought control device in place of his head. Truly wierd stuff. Anyway, this figure uses a Wolverine figure, some styrene, and a photoshopped and doctored photograph for the holographic image in his torso. I wanted to make the technology look harsh and old fashioned, almost like something you'd see in a James Whale movie crossed with an element of realism. The electronics surrounding the hologram screen (made to look like a rudimentary television monitor), are made from styrene.




10 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Oh my God!!! I practically swooned when I saw this one! It's incredible~So bizarre I can picture his flickering screen and scratchy speaker voice. This series is one of your best I think. No one combines weathered old tech with SF narrative like you. You should be designing for film.

Ben Hatke said...

Nice! Very Mike Mignola

bruce said...

Thanks for the feedback Eric and Ben. I'm pretty pleased with these so far, actually...Zola is one of those characters that's hard NOT to create a fun design with...he's such an insane concept and calls out for interpretation. Actually Eric, I'd love to see you give Zola a spin...it would be lost of fun to see a character like this in your style. As for the Mignola influence Ben, that's really no accident...I'm hug fan of his work, and see many similarities between his style and the visual flare of films like Bride of Frankenstein and The Invisible Man (which are always on my mind when I'm attempting retro technology designs).

Jeff Durham said...

Beautiful work all over this blog. I'm a big fan! Jack Kirby, The Rocketeer and Star Wars; how can you go wrong?

bruce said...

Thanks, Jeff.

The three influences you listed really are brilliant...Kirby alone has provided such an abundance of material that the creators behind modern comics are still picking over for inspiration. I'm certainly not going to condemn them for doing so :0)

havok5 said...

bruce, do you do commission work? please contact me. thanks. bruce evans

bruce said...

havok5

Shoot me an email at brucealanross@gmail.com

Rick said...

Another great job. Of course Jack Kirby is one of my favorite creators and a big influence on me. I was also lucky enough to meet him a few times in life. I love your take on his creations! Great work. So roughly how long does it take to create each character? I am sure some may take longer than others by the look of some.

bruce said...

Rick -

Arnimn Zola probably took about eight-ten hours to make, and I tend to work in very concentrated and intense marathons. My wife says that I have a tendency to 'lose time.'

Peter said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.