Friday, January 9, 2009

More Pulp/Serial Madness!!







A few more oldies. First up is Doc Savage, as depicted by the late Dave Stevens in his comic The Rocketeer. This custom is just under three years old, and is one that I may revisit. I am quite happy with the sculpt work and the goggles, but I'd like to give it a try with newer methods. Next up is Spy Smasher, which was based entirely on Les Walker's brilliant take on the serial/comic book hero. Les avoided the forest green and red of the posters, and opted for a more muted, almost military style color scheme for the costume, which I shamelessly borrowed. The sculpting on the pants is a bit iffy, but I was happy with the shirt and the scratch-built goggles. The final custom is Blackhawk...which is a costume design that I absolutely love. The Blackhawk organization, a crack team of fighter pilots with a secret island base (how cool is that?) were brilliantly used in Darwyn Cooke's The New Frontier, which is one of the most fun comic series in recent years. The Blackhawk serial starred Kirk Alyn, who for a time was second only to Tom Tyler as king of the serials. Alyn also played Superman and defined the character for a generation before George Reeves made the role his own on television.
God, listen to me! Not a poetic sentence in that paragraph.



2 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

These are all amazing. I love spy Smasher, both the character in general and your interpretation.

bruce said...

Thanks Eric.

I wish Spy Smasher was indeed my interpretation...it's a shameless rip-off of Les Walker's custom:

http://figuremasterles.tripod.com/id37.html

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page...you'll see it.