Thursday, February 5, 2009

Pirates of the Carribean






In 2006, I was blindsided by how much I enjoyed Dead Man's Chest. I was very lukewarm on the first Pirates movie, thinking that it was okay, but overrated. Dead Man's Chest though...it had this strange, offbeat humour, and was unlike anything I'd ever seen. The visual effects are incredible, and the art direction and design in the film is just fantastic. The crew of the Flying Dutchman is probably one of the best and niftiest group of villains I've ever seen in an adventure film, and Bill Nighy's wierd performance as Davy Jones is a wonder to behold. The third film, while visually stunning, did little for me in terms of drawing the series to a satisfying conclusion...but to be honest I wasn't expecting it to. Dead Man's Chest does have some bland performances from the leads, and really doesn't make much sense, but there's a boldness to it that I can't help but admire. And, since the design was so important to the film's success in my eyes, I felt compelled to make some customs. Captain Jack, Davy Jones, Maccus, Conjoined Twin Pirate (which I saw as a concept drawing, but have yet to spot him in the film), and the guy with the big iron balls (don't know his name) all got the Marvel Legends treatment. Fabric, epoxy putty, on top a variety of Marvel Legends parts are what make up this handsome group. They're older customs, but I think they hold up okay.




No comments: