Monday, March 2, 2009

New Gods




New Gods...perhaps the craziest and most inventive mainstream comic ever. A couple of years ago, Joshua Izzo and I put together a fake toy line based on a fake mega-budget movie adaptation of Kirby's wild masterpiece. The idea was to make movie-styled versions of the characters, trying to maintain as much of the color and original design while also making the designs seem plausible for a live action film. I chose to make a Parademon, Big Barda, and Mister Miracle. Izzo made Metron, Darkseid, and Orion...I personally think Metron is by far the best of the six figures, and quite possibly Joshua's best custom to date. You can see the full Custom Con entry (including Joshua's figures) at this link:

2 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

I secretly think these are my favorites..OK not so secretly. I really love these a lot. I was just talking to J Torres about the New Gods and i think he's secretly trying to resurrect them...

Ben Hatke said...

Lots of secrets going on there eric.

Man, that Mr. Miracle is sweet.