Friday, July 10, 2009

The Last Doc Savage



This will no doubt be the last Doc Savage I make (or maybe not...I dunno). I think this one's an improvement over my original Bama-styled torn shirt Doc in some subtle ways, but they are basically the same idea. The laced up boots were a fun variation, and the yellow ochre colored shirt kind of sets this one apart as more comic book-like. Apparently I can't get enough of making this character! Here's a very interesting blog post I found about James Bama, and a look at the man he used as his model for Doc Savage:
http://drexfiles.wordpress.com/2009/06/24/james-bama-american-realist-first-trek-publicity-artist/

2 comments:

Eric Orchard said...

Beautiful figure man! Love the detail.

Tho' I'm ashamed to admit that Bama's Doc Savage isn't my favorite. I think it's the widows peak.

bruce said...

Thanks, Eric.

One of these days I'll make a thirties pulp version of Doc as opposed to this Bama-inspired design. Though I must say that Bama is a brilliant painter.