Thursday, August 6, 2009

Gollum: 2006








The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit don't really require me to preface or explain anything. They're pretty well established as masterpieces of 20th century fantasy literature, and there aren't too many people who haven't at least heard of Peter Jackson's films. I sculpted this bust from Super Sculpey about three years ago, and I consider it one of my better attempts at sculpture. Sure the pose leaves a question mark as to what Smeagol's intentions are, which is never a good thing when it comes to developing a pose for a static work like this...but I'm proud of the expression, the work on the hands, and the fish. The anatomy is probably iffy as well, but as an early attempt at this sort of thing, I'm still pleased with the result (which signals to me that I need to practice more). He's really small...about 2 1/2 inches tall...and I really enjoyed incorporating the thread for his hair.

1 comment:

Eric Orchard said...

This is awesome! What an amazing face! Makes me think of what a Henson version of LOTR might have been like(reminds me slightly of Dark Crystal aesthetic.)