Sunday, August 30, 2009

"The only good human is a dead human!"



I have no idea why I'm suddenly on a Planet of the Apes kick. Sometimes this happens to me...I'll be going on my merry way and I'm hit by this intense desire to watch a movie. I think this was spurned on by Michael Crawford's review of Hot Toys amazing Gorilla Soldier figure. Since I don't currently have a couple of hundred dollars to spend on plastic apes, I thought I'd take a crack at sculpting some simian myself. I really didn't have any vision or idea in mind...I just sort of started sculpting the head, and followed from there. The base figure is a bunch of Marvel Legends junk thrown together (mainly a series 4 Punisher that was used as a previous custom many years ago). I bulked up the shoulders, chest, and gut with plumbers epoxy, sculpted the head with Aves Apoxie Sculpt, and made the uniform from fabric, leather, and vinyl squares. The rifle is styrene all the way. I've only ever seen the first POTA movie, though I know the quote above is General Ursus from Beneath the Planet of the Apes...I really want to check out the rest of them someday. I'm working on a Dr. Zaius at the moment, so keep your eyes peeled for that soon.

1 comment:

Randy said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.